Thursday, March 17, 2011

One Word: Devoted

Some years ago I was asked to sum up what I wanted people to say about me in one word.  The word I chose was "devoted".


Why did I choose that word?


The word "devoted" means, according to Dictionary.com, "zealous or ardent in attachment, loyalty, or affection."


I chose that word because I wanted whatever I did to be characterized by an attitude of devotion: zealous and ardent in attachment, loyalty, and affection.  


One who is devoted believes in what she does and that her task is not wasteful or pointless.
One who is devoted holds fast and floats even in the gales; she's a safe-haven, a buoy to those who are sinking.
One who is devoted will sacrifice and give of herself for the sake of others.
One who is devoted will run the race to the finish, so she may receive the prize.
One who is devoted loves much and has exceedingly great joy in others.
One who is devoted is entirely sold out; she holds nothing back.


One who is devoted looks like Christ... if, indeed, she devotes herself to Christ.


At the time I chose the word, though, I didn't think about what naturally goes at the end of the adjective: "to".


I didn't think about what I was devoting myself "to"... I just thought whatever it was, I wanted to be sold out to it. Which can be a dangerous attitude, because many people spend their lives devoted to things that don't really matter in the end.


So I ask it now: What is my "to" to which I'm devoted, and why does it matter?


It matters because I truly want my life to count


The only meaning and purpose in life is found in the Giver of meaning and purpose, God. He's the One who makes lives matter. He's the One we need to be devoted to if we want our lives to count.




Points to ponder:

  • What word would you want people to use to describe your life?
  • What word best describes your life right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment