Friday, March 11, 2011

Relationship Status: Betrothed

betrothal: a mutual promise to marry.
- courtesy of Dictionary.com

A friend you know has just changed their relationship status on facebook. "Engaged" it says. You congratulate them, and wish them the best in their future marriage covenant.

Then, dear Christian sister (or brother), perhaps you start thinking: When will my time come? When will I get to change my relationship status to "engaged" and then "married"?

You aren't alone.

I think about marriage a lot. Which means I have to pray about it a lot, which means God is always teaching me new things.

I want to share with you something He's been teaching me recently, and I pray it is a blessing to you as it has been to me.


If I put my relationship status on my facebook profile, it would say "single".

But that isn't correct.

It should say "betrothed" or "promised".

Even if I never marry in this life, I am betrothed, or promised, as the Bride of Christ Jesus, Himself, and that is nothing to sniff at.

What is more, this is a definite betrothal; it is sure to take place. Therefore, I must prepare myself to meet my Husband when I die.

Here is something else, God may plan for me to marry one of His beloved sons-in-Christ on this side of Heaven, in which case I am still betrothed.

Let me explain.

If He intends for me to marry, God is choosing who it is He wants me to be with, in which case I am betrothed or promised to the one God has chosen (if indeed I am faithful to follow His perfect plan for my life).

Plus, a perfect Heavenly Father who loves me is doing the choosing for me. What cause then do I have to be anxious for marriage?

Yet, I want to remember that this second betrothal is an uncertain one, while my betrothal to Christ is certain.

May I live a life of beautiful devotion to Him!

~

God’s sovereign will is always meant for your good and His glory. If and when God decides you can best serve Him as a team member with a life partner, you won’t need to change Sunday school classes, search the singles ads, or join a dating service. He will work out the circumstances. “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD” (Proverbs 18:22). This favor of the Lord is what God extends to His children in arranging the circumstances for them to meet their life partners. - Don Raunikar

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Sadie! Love what you said about the certainty of your betrothal.

    ReplyDelete