Thursday, June 2, 2011

Easy Burdens

[Jesus said], "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30, KJV

Have you ever had a heavy box you had to lift on your own and carry somewhere? The first couple steps were fine, but the farther you went, your burden became a greater and greater trial.

The burden of the Law was like that to Jewish people of Jesus' day. They could take a few steps... Offer sacrifices for sins, but if they sought like Job to keep the Law in full, they soon found they couldn't and the burden they carried became a greater and greater trial.

What happened when you gave that burden to someone stronger than you? When you asked for help? The burden became easier... Lighter depending on the strength of the other person.

Jesus offers to carry the burden of the Law for His people, and for us. We cannot keep the Law on our own. We will only find it an impossible burden. But if we let Him carry it for us, it will be as He says, His "burden is easy" and His "yoke is light."


This applies to other burdens we need help carrying also. Why don't we ask the one who is "strong to help" to carry our burdens for us?

2 comments: