Friday, June 3, 2011

To Serve (Not Be Served)

I want you to know something about me: I find social situations a bit challenging.

I don't always know how to address someone... Or where to sit... Or what to say... Or who to talk to... Or for how long... Etc.

But as a Christian, I've been called beyond my own comfort. I've been called to step out in faith, and think of others rather than myself, and trust my needs to God.

I have my example: Jesus. Now I'm responsible to follow Him.

Mark Chapter 10 verse 45 says, "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (ESV).

Jesus was all about meeting the needs of others, no matter what it cost Him. I've been called to follow after Him. That is, to "consider others better than myself" (Philippians 2:3).


Want to know a secret? Thinking of how I can best serve others in any given situation takes away the social tension! When I'm no longer thinking of myself, that's when I'm able to actually relax and function in a social setting.

Isn't it a beautiful truth that as we learn to obey, God is working for our good and meeting our needs?

"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33

2 comments:

  1. Good insight! I often have been called outside of my comfort zone too so that I can better represent Christ. And find when my focus is on Him, my discomfort isn't my concern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "when my focus is on Him, my discomfort isn't my concern!"

    Exactly! :)

    ReplyDelete