Sunday, February 19, 2012

Desire Marriage? That's Okay!

Today while listening to a sermon by Pastor John MacArthur, I realized something liberating...it's okay to want to be married.

What's never okay is to let our desires become idols and take over our lives. We all must realize that at the end of the day, God holds the trump card. He can and will decide what to do with us--whether we have certain desires or not. And the fact is that we need to be okay with whatever He chooses for us, because He is God and we are not, but also because He is supremely trustworthy and He loves us so much as to choose what is best for us.

But I never have to deny the fact that I want to be married. And I don't have to pretend like I'd rather be single, when in fact that isn't true. I don't have to pretend to not desire a husband in order to seem strong and self-sufficient. I don't have to put on airs. I can admit that I want to be married. I can even admit it to God and pray toward that end.

It's okay, friend, to want to be married.

Just don't let it come between you and God. Be sure to do as John Piper says, and cultivate a strong relationship with God, so that He is your focus and He is the centre of your world. Let Him be your prize! Let Him be your treasure! Let Him be the greatest desire of your heart! Not because then He'll give you everything else you want, but because then you'll be most satisfied in Him and He'll be most glorified in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment