Thursday, August 23, 2012

Feed the Spirit, Starve the Flesh

An appetite that you feed will grow.
An appetite that you starve will die.

I have seen this principle at work in my life.  The appetites that I have fed, grow.  The appetites that I have starved, die.  It doesn't matter whether the appetite is itself good or bad.  The principle is the same.

A bad appetite: let's say a physical appetite that is unlawful because I am unmarried.  If that appetite is fed, it grows.  If it is starved, it dies.

Even a good appetite: an appetite for the Word of God.  If I starve myself of the Word, my appetite shrinks and eventually dies.  If I feed my appetite for the Word, my appetite for the Word grows.

Therefore, we must know which appetites we are currently feeding, which we are starving, which we ought to be starving, and which we ought to be feeding.

Dear single sister, which appetites are you feeding?

Your physical appetite?  What are you watching?  How often are you around men?  What is your manner towards them?  What are you listening to?  What are you reading?  All of these things will feed your appetite.

Which appetites are you letting die?

Your appetite for prayer?  Your appetite for Bible reading?  If you feed these, they will grow.  If you starve them, do not be surprised when they die.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (Romans 8:13, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment