Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Leave All...And Follow

I have been considering lately the question of whether I have left everything to follow Jesus.

It's an important question.  We are all called to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Him.  We are all called to love Him more than the world, more than those dearest to us, and more than our own lives.  But how far have we been tested?

Single Christian, if God called you to leave friends and family (or the hope of family) and go to the mission field, would you?

If God took away your wealth, your health, and your prosperity, would you still love Him?

If you were staring down the barrel of a gun and you had to choose...renounce Christ or die...what would you do?

How much am I willing to give for Christ?  Will I give it all for Jesus--the One Who gave it all for me?

If you're like me, you're thinking...I can't!  As desperately as I want to, there is no way I am strong enough or pious enough to be able to give it all for Jesus--to give Him everything He deserves.  I cannot do it!

So, what do we do?  What do we say?  It's impossible, so God can't possibly expect it of me?!  No indeed!  Which one of God's commandments is possible for the sinner to carry out?  None of them!  Yet, God commands us to be holy, for He is holy.  He commands us to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength...and our neighbour as ourself.  But we can't!  We can't do it!

Exactly!

Just as salvation is a supernatural work of God, so is sanctification.  By God's grace, we aren't unwilling participants (He works in us to will and to do His good pleasure), but we are powerless in ourselves.  He alone has the power!

With men it is impossible, but not with God.  With God, all things are possible.

Apart from [Christ, we] can do nothing!

But with Christ...I can do all things, for He strengthens me!


Father, I know that there is nothing good in my flesh.  I know that there is no strength in myself to carry out Your will.  I also know that there is all strength in You.  You never tire, nor do You grow weary.  With You, all things are possible!  You who are able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or imagine!  Lord, do a mighty work in us, that we--in the power of Your Holy Spirit--may have the courage to give Christ everything that He deserves!  For He is worthy of it all and so much more!  Allow us to abide in Him and so bear much fruit for Your glory!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment