Thursday, February 14, 2013

How to Have a Very Happy Valentines Day! =)

Happy (Saint) Valentine's Day!

Original image by Sadie Daniels
I don't ascribe to the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church about the canonization of saints or the observance of feast days, but for what it's worth, I'll wish my fellow sisters- and brothers-in-Christ a Happy Valentines Day.

Without knowing the history behind St Valentine's Day, we all pretty much know what it's become. It's become a day to celebrate "love" ... that special someone in your life.

For those of us who are single, it can present a trial and a difficulty. How can I be happy on Valentine's Day?! Especially when all my friends and family have dates and I am once again...alone...?

Don't despair, dear friend! =) We have One Who sympathizes with our weaknesses... remember? Let's go to Him in prayer...every day, but especially today.

My challenge to all you single Christians out there is to PRAY today!

Here are some things I'd like you to take to God in prayer:

  1. Your singleness. Ask the Lord for joy and contentment in His will for you.
  2. Your future spouse. Not asking the Lord for a husband or wife, but praying for that person...that they'd be content, that they'd be patient, that they'd have joy in Christ, and that they'd be busy about and zealous for the Lord's work.
  3. For other single believers. Pray that they would have joy in Christ and delight to do His will.
  4. For those you have had relationships with in the past that did not work out. Pray against and confess any and all bitterness and resentment. Pray for that person. For their growth in the faith and that they would know and love God. Pray for their future spouse.
  5. For the lost. Those who do not know the love of God as you do.
  6. Last, but absolutely not least...exalt the Lord Jesus Christ. Say, "Lord, even as I pray for my future spouse, even so, Lord, Your will be done." Confess your love for Him. Spend time thanking Him for all He has done for you; for His love for you. Thank the Father for the Son and for the gift of the Holy Spirit. Thank Him that you are adopted as a son of God. Thank Him that you know that same Love that brought salvation to the world and that you will spend all eternity with Him!

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty picture in this post! (I'm a bit behind in my Google Reader so I just now saw this!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! =) To God be the glory; always! (And don't feel too bad about being behind...I'm perpetually behind...)

      Delete